22 July 2013

Tackling the Mess in the Kids Bathroom

Having fabulous, organised spaces is one of the things I really love.  I'm most definitely not the tidiest person in the world.  My tidy spaces gradually devolve into disorganised messes, but when everything is put away and looks beautiful, it is delightful.

Our girls bathroom has lately become a jumbled mess of random shampoo bottles, piles of toys, sticky toothpaste tubes and more toothbrushes than I have children.  A while ago I corralled the toys into a colourful, plastic basket, which made a huge difference.  However, there was still that horrible mess on the window shelf.



I started by working out what was essential and throwing out, or putting away, everything else.  I ended up needing to store one bottle each of shampoo, conditioner, bath soap, a tumbler of toothbrushes, toothpaste and a comb, and a box of wet wipes.  I wanted to use pump bottles, because my girls have a tendency to squeeze half a bottle of soap into the bath.  I hunted around for a while and found these really stylish dispensers:



Once they were filled up and on the shelf, they looked a little bit bland and boring.  I really wanted a tray, basket or box to sit them all in neatly.  Preferably something colourful.  After a couple of weeks of fruitless searching, I decided to have a go at making one.  I'm most definitely not a wood worker and my tools consisted of a handsaw, staple gun and PVA glue.  I bought a few pieces of hobby wood from the craft store (I think they're used to make things like model planes), sawed them to the lengths I needed, glued and stapled them together, and finally painted them in some bright colours.  I used masking tape to create neat lines between each colour section.  I then printed some matching labels and attached them to the jars using clear adhesive film.  All it needed then was a bit of greenery and we were done.


And just so you can really appreciate it, here's a closeup of that homemade bathroom caddy:



I'm delighted with the results.  It's so practical and adds some much needed colour to the bathroom.  It has the added bonus of making sure the kids only use small amounts of soap, shampoo and conditioner.

No comments:

Post a Comment